Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weather or Not

Oh those whiney farmers! It's always too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, whah, whah, whah. Or at least that's what I used to think. Living in the country has changed how I see the weather. It's no longer just an annoyance to keep me from running to the grocery store.  The weather has a serious effect on everything around here.

This last winter, well, it just sucked. Not only were we at the mercy of the forecast, but then it was a matter of getting out of the driveway, then out of the gravel road, then to the main hard road without ending up in the ditch. It got to where I just hibernated...and pouted...and drank wine.

So now that it's spring, the weather is no longer below freezing and all is well right? Sigh, nope. Now it is about the rain, and this year, flooding. It isn't flooding where I live, but the rain and cold this spring have affected the fishing, which is kinda a big deal here. Apparently the first warm day of spring is the primo day to fish. We haven't really had it yet, which is not normal, and has my fishermen in a tizzy.

You can see the farmers on a day before a predicted rainy, cold spell, out in the fields near our house until way past dark. There is a lot of standing water as you drive around, even in the flattest of fields. I care now how this affects my neighbors. Maybe it's my inner virgo making its connection to the earth come to the surface. I want to plant something, but the weather is preventing this and it pisses me off. Perhaps I should have another cup of coffee and whine about how I can't get my flower pots planted before Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment