Monday, April 18, 2011

It's a small world afterall

Sigh. It looks like I am the only one interested in the royal wedding of Will and Kate. Seriously? How is that possible? Do people out here not remember the Charles and Diana wedding? It was a major event in my junior high universe. I still have the Princess Di bride doll my mom let me order from the Danbury mint. So when I asked some ladies if they were following the royal wedding updates and they told me that they "really don't pay attention to that stuff" I was gobsmacked! Flabbergasted! Almost insulted that they did not think it was an important event in the world.
I forget what a small world it is when you live in a small town. You can get all the news you need to know from the coffee shop or post office. So-and-so had a baby boy, thus-and-thus is being sold, yadda yadda blah blah blah. News about people I have never met, let alone three generations of family scandal and gossip, pass hands faster than internet.
I love to listen to their stories about who is getting married and who sold their house or is looking to change jobs. As a teacher, I am no stranger to gossip and I love to share good news about folks. I am even eager to hear who is getting divorced because they got caught doing this or that. It's just a natural human curiosity to want to know what people are up to.
So with all this curiosity, how can these folks NOT be following the glamour of a royal family wedding??? It's so filled with tradition and grandeur. Perhaps it's because we do not have royalty here in the U.S. that people could care less what is going on in other countries. Well I am following it. I love seeing this beautiful young couple start their life together. It's hopeful. I like it. It's sweet. It's real and better than any American reality TV I can think of watching. Who gives a hoot what a teenage mom or some rich bitties in New Jersey are up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment