Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter logistics

Easter Sunday was my eldest son's 14th birthday. It was also my first Easter with my hubby in our new home, so I offered to host the family gathering here at the cabin. The first issue was where to seat everyone. Our family isn't too numerous, only about 20 coming. I vividly recall being 12ish and having to sit with the little table with my knees hitting the underside of the wee card table on a chair made for a gnome. I wanted us all at one table. Everyone contributed and it was a breeze to heat a ham! Food was served off the island. I had the table scaped with flowers in aqua mason jars, fabric, primitive bunnies and giant aqua ceramic eggs I had from Ikea awhile back. We ate around 1:30 pm and it was de-lish! Cross off one success for the day.

The next event was the egg hunt. It's a fine line when your kiddos are older and little cousins come along. Do you cater to the littles or the bigs? I decided to make the egg hunt more of a challenge for the big guys. I wrote what I thought were hilarious clues and they went into the little eggs with some candy. They were hunting a big pantyhose-style golden plastic egg with a twenty dollar bill in it. Now THAT will get the big kids motivated to hunt eggs, right? The big egg was hid in a former fence post hole in a far corner of the property. They had to find all the little eggs, which the little kids could do, then open them up to read all of the clues to find the money in the hidey hole. Well, it only took a few clues for the 6 year old niece to find the golden egg!

It's ok, we still have birthday cake. My Mom made two cakes for the crowd who only ate one of them. The other was gone by tuesday morning! My son got a lot of money for gifts since he didn't ask for anything special. He also got a bike from his step-grandparents, lucky duck! This will be great once his cast is off in a few weeks. (He broke his tibia in P.E. a few days prior.) My hubby says he can ride it to go fishing this summer whenever he likes. This was a really memorable birthday for the big guy: Easter Sunday, a broken leg, living in the country, lots of fishing ahead and money in his pocket!

When they all left, I sat for the first time that day with a nice glass of Sancerre. I see now why Grama surrendered so quickly the hosting of Easter Sunday! I wonder if she did the same thing I did when we left her house at Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment